Why are people so afraid of the truth?

Why are people so afraid of the truth?

We live in a day and age where people are plain-out scared of the truth. 
Scared to speak it (for fear the of other people's response). 
Scared to hear it (for fear of how our lives must change as a result of it). 
Scared even to watch it being spoken on behalf of the lives of others. (Really, what's up with that?!)

I think Satan loves nothing better than lackadaisical Christians who lay around in lounge chairs of lies. While we church-goers may not be prone to wear an infamous blue-and-white visitor's sticker that reads "Hello, my name is …. pathological liar," our lives (in a very subtle way) sometimes suggest this much is true. 

Before you get your feathers ruffled, listen to me when I say this: A liar isn't just someone who tells lies. A liar could be a person who simply neglects to speak the truth. 

Why no, I'm not prone to lie about people, make up stories about them, or add faulty details to an already true story. I've got far too many things on my to-do-list for that. I am, however, very prone to NOT speaking truth into someone's life when it's needed. 

Why?  For me, it's fear. Fear of upsetting people. Fear of hurting people's feelings. Fear of losing relationships for the sake of the truth. But as I think about it…. I've come to this conclusion: I'd rather have relationships wilt or dug up in my life because of a truth spoken than relationships grown out of seeds of "it's-not-my-place-to-judge"s and watered in "what-you-want-to-hear"s.

The Bible says that the truth sets men free.

In my experience, truth likes sunlight. It doesn't hide in the shadows and alleyways.  It dances in rain, knowing that better days are coming. Truth celebrates in community. It's not a secret to be kept.

Simply put: Stop hiding in fears. Stop hiding in truths not spoken. Someone in your life needs to be set free today. Say the things everyone's thinking, but no one's saying. Go the extra mile(s) required to show love to the people in your life by the truths you speak into them.

Pray that God gives you the words, strength, courage, and timeliness in which to say them. Most of all, beg that God would surround your life with people who unashamedly will speak truth into your life as well. 

Lives are changed when truths are told.

And perhaps, that's why people are so afraid of the truth.

Comments

Reader's Favorite Posts

"That's Not My Name!"

For inquiring minds that would like to know… here's our story.

The Birth of Hope