Rain, Target Umbrellas, and a Shelter in the Time of Storms

Today, once again, I found myself scurrying from the front doors of the local Target Superstore to the front seat of my car. In a thunderstorm. As it happened, I couldn't help but laugh at myself and how-very-often this scenario repeats in my life.

Without a doubt, it always seems to be raining when I enter/exit a Target. Some may excuse this away as being "Florida summer weather;" however, it's happened to me in other seasons, too. And it's even happened to me in other states. In fact, when I lived in Lynchburg,Virginia before, I got to the point where I had to resolve to getting soaking-wet because I absolutely refused to buy yet-another Target-branded umbrella. My umbrella collection was getting to be quite extensive and unruly. And, oddly enough, my umbrellas were quite inaccessible when I needed them the most. They always happened to be in the coat closet at home. Or in the closet of my classroom. Or in the trunk of my car. You know, conveniently tucked anywhere but where I needed them when I needed them. No big deal. Until I got super-soaking wet. And grumpy. And began to blame myself for not preparing better, not checking the forecast, and simply not knowing better. Then, it became a big deal suddenly, and I decided to do something about it.

Enter the the season of my life where I bought and carried extra large purses solely to accommodate the extra space and weight of an all-time go-to umbrella at-hand. This season of the weather forecasts was also affectionately termed "the drought" because it seemingly didn't rain on the Earth for about 2 years that I can remember carrying umbrellas in my over-sized purses.

Of course, I'm taking things slightly overboard and being a tad bit dramatic, but it serves a purpose. Today, after rushing to my car in the rain. I turned on the radio and heard one of my favorite songs "Lord, I Need You" by Matt Maher.

If you haven't heard it before, I encourage you to listen to it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuvfMDhTyMA

As I listened, I was reminded of the goodness of God. And how I need Him. Oh, how I need Him. Very much unlike an umbrella, I need Him every hour, every minute. I need Him. He's my One Defense against the storms of life. But how often I forget that and tend to lean on my own attempts (running, holding onto Target-made umbrellas, weighing down my purses with excessive precautions for rains that may or may not come) to keep me dry in stormy seasons of life.

I don't know about you, but I'm learning to be thankful for the rain.
I'm learning to be thankful for Target umbrellas.
Ultimately, I'm learning to be ever-mindful and ever-thankful to serve a God that is dependable every hour of my life. He's not just someone I run to when the rains come. Or someone I call on after my attempts and Target umbrellas haven't cut it to protect me from the storms of life. He's my Shelter in the Time of Storms, yes. But He's also the God I need.

Come rain or shine, every hour, I need Him.

Comments

Reader's Favorite Posts

"That's Not My Name!"

For inquiring minds that would like to know… here's our story.

The Birth of Hope