Inspiration from an Unlikely Source (i.e. Cashier-Man-Gil)


Interesting, isn’t it, the places people will go and the things people will do to “get inspired.”

For many, inspiration comes from the Bible. As it ultimately should.

For most women, teachers, and men who feel strong in their manhood, inspiration comes Pinterest.

(Side note: After testing out a Pinterest idea of putting brown sugar in my hair to “straighten” it and only coming away with sticky hair and a leftover bottle of home-made ridiculousness, I suggest everyone proceed on Pinterest with cautionary measures. I know I do. Now, anyway.)

For some, inspiration naturally flows from music or poetry or nature or the like.

For others still, inspiration is birthed into their hearts and lives through a heart-stirring story, an act of heroism, or a random act of kindness experienced or observed.

If I’m being honest, I’ve been guilty of all of the above ways to find ideas, get involved and interested in something beyond myself, and become inspired by the creativity of others, my surroundings, and My Savior (the Creator and Mastermind behind it all).

However, for me today, inspiration came from the most unlikely of sources.

Wal-mart.

Yeah, you read that right.

While I’m taking you down this dirt road of unlikely chances that people at places like Wal-mart can inspire you, let me just throw this at you: did you know that Wal-mart’s slogan is “Save More. Live Better.”?

I’m afraid that all-too-often most people only obtain cheap deals and collect there’s-no-possible-way-I-could-be-making-this-up kind of stories and pictures from their Wal-mart trips. In other words, they only cash in on the first part of Wal-mart’s slogan. “Save More.” Literally. They cash in. Get it? :)

But not this girl. Not today, anyway. Today, I got the privilege to experience the second half of that slogan as well. “Live Better.” It’s a stretch, for sure, but stick with me for a moment.

So…..what in the world could’ve inspired me so much in Wal-mart today? (You may be asking.)

Good question. The answer comes to us by way of a little cashier man at register 7 named Gil.

Alright. Back up. Let me set the stage.

Setting: Wal-mart, enough said

Scenario: A woman, obviously wearing her cranky pants this morning, was standing in front of me in line and had two VERY long and complicated orders. (She may as well buy a tent for as long as she was deciding to camp out at the register…. I almost suggested that very thing to her when…) Out of nowhere, Cashier-Man-Gil entered the scene and stepped up to the plate to make a homerun out of this situation.

Rather than get annoyed at this woman’s complications or responding to her crankiness, Cashier-Man-Gil started singing. That’s right. He started singing out her order to her. He sang the name of the products. He sang out the prices of each individual item. Everything that passed through Gil’s hands or through his line of vision quickly became a part in his ever-growing, impromptu, sing-song-y, broken-English mantra. The woman, needless to say, was not impressed. Apparently, her cranky pants were held up by some you-can’t-make-me-satisfied suspenders because I don’t recall her ever cracking a smile. I, on the other hand, was more than amused with Gil’s antics. I even began to giggle. Loudly. This egged him on to sing more loudly, which I’m certain didn’t help the whole situation.

But, what can I say? He humored me.

When it was finally my turn to be checked out, he thanked me three times for “being patience” with him. I told him I thought he seemed to be having a good day, and it was nice to see he was content with his job. Now that I think back on it, I wonder how much he understood what I said, but I do remember his reply. Handing me the receipt, he smiled back at me and simply said, “You come back. I cannot WAIT to serve you again!” with all the sincerity a voice could carry.

And as simple as that, I left Wal-mart a happy and inspired woman. Today, I “Saved More” at Wal-mart (of course), but I also learned a little bit more of what it means to “Live Better.“

All it took was a man, who could barely speak English, whose presence spoke, served, and sang the language of inspiration by just the breath of who he was.

I wonder… who inspires you today?

What do they do that makes them inspirational to you?

What can you do to inspire those around you today?

It doesn’t take much. Much like the big, complicated Wal-mart order that was turned into a party through Gil’s singing, remember that the big things in life are always envelope-d by what you do with and how you handle the small things in life.

As Christians, we have more than enough reason to encourage and inspire those around us. This may or may not be the sort of thing Christ was talking about in Matthew 5:14-16:

14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

With all said and reviewed, do whatever you need to do to be an inspiration to people today. Show the world a response that goes against the grain and breathes new life into tough situations.

Our world needs more light.

Our world needs more love.

Our world needs more inspirational people singing at register 7, figuratively speaking.

Shine your light by the way you live your life.

You never know whose life may be in need of a little inspiration today.

Comments

Reader's Favorite Posts

"That's Not My Name!"

For inquiring minds that would like to know… here's our story.

The Birth of Hope