Lessons Learned from Sickness

A Handful of Things I Learned Whilst I Was Sick

1. You can easily drop eight to ten pounds in two days with a steady diet of gatorade, a carrot stick, and what-seemed-to-be-the-stomach-flu.

2. It doesn't matter if the air is on or off, the heat is on or off, the sheets are on or off… you're bound to wake up blazing hot. or freezing cold. or sometimes, half and half. at the same time.

3. If you google the symptoms for "stomach flu" and "food poisoning," they come out exactly the same. In the end, it doesn't really matter what labeling you have. You'll feel like death the entire time anyway.

4. The things you think about when you are sick are what matters the most to you. Seriously.

5. You can never pay your roommate enough for the loot of  lemon-lime Gatorade she brings home for you. It's a life saver. (which reminds me, Katie, how much do I owe you?!?!)

6. Make-up is not a daily necessity. It's a first-world problem. I started to appreciate myself more when I didn't bother with getting "all dolled up" for days.

7. The more you sleep, the better you'll be. Even if that means sleeping 20+ hours a day, go for it. Your body will thank you shortly.

8. "The Love of the Lord Endures" on endless repeat truly does uplift the soul. YouTube it.

9. To quote the girl at the drive-thru at Chik-Fil-A, "There's healing powers in our chicken soup." She's so right.

10. Saltines crackers aren't just for old people. or birds. (wait, can you feed saltines to birds?! hmmmph.) They're actually pretty tasty.

11. It doesn't matter how old you get, you should always have someone to take care of you and "baby" you when you're sick (like your momma used to do when you were sick as a kid).

12. If something is "bad" for you to eat when you're sick, wouldn't it also be "bad" for you to eat when you're healthy? I'm going to reconsider many food choices. Many.

13. Real, Godly friends who pray for you and check-up on you aren't a dime-a-dozen…. but I've got a good pocketful of them in my life. I'm oh-so-thankful to God for each of you!

14. Sickness causes crazy dreams at night and some hallucinations during the day. (and I didn't even take any medication)

15. I'm thankful God made me Who He made me to be. And I'm thankful He's given me back the energy to be exactly that… I've already been singing around the house and smiling my face off today. It's good to be back to "normal"! :-)

Comments

Reader's Favorite Posts

"That's Not My Name!"

For inquiring minds that would like to know… here's our story.

The Birth of Hope