When He says, "No."

The Israelites crack me up.
Actually, no they don't.
They sadden me. a lot.

They're just so very dumb that it borderline annoys me.

If the Old Testament were split into tracks instead of chapters, it would pretty much go like this:

1. God provides.
2. Israelites screw up.
3. God provides more.
4. Israelites screw up more.
5. God continues to provide exactly what the Israelites need.
6. Israelites complain that the provision of God isn't what they wanted.
7. God provides exactly what the Israelites wanted.
8. The Israelites still choose to be miserable. with a capital M.

I mean, seriously, what's up with that?!

I'm currently going through a Bible study surrounding the Israelites and all lesser things and gods they sought after apart from (and in place of) God Himself. No wonder they were so miserable, right?

Well, today, I stumbled upon a verse that not only caught my eye, but it also caught all of my heart's attention.
It's in Psalm 106:15, and it reads like this: "He gave them their request, but sent leanness into their soul." In short, the Israelites wanted what they wanted SO VERY BADLY that they exchanged the eternal, important things for the temporary, unimportant (or lesser) things.

You know what upsets me the most about the story of the Israelites? 
It hits too close to home. I could very easily remix the tracks above, put my name in place of the Israelites, and describe my life story. And, if you're honest, maybe (?) you could too.

All being said...
Know when to ask God for things.
Grow to know when to stop asking God for something.
Realize that "no" is a valid answer for God to give to your prayers.
Don't make Him, like Psalms says, give you your request at the exchange of the health of your soul.

Love Him enough to trustingly ask Him for things.
Yet, trust Him enough when He lovingly answers you "no."

Comments

Reader's Favorite Posts

"That's Not My Name!"

For inquiring minds that would like to know… here's our story.

The Birth of Hope