The "Sinful" Woman

The "Sinful" Woman


I grew up in what I would call a level-headed, balanced, talked-about-and-lived-out kind of Christian home, faithfully attended a good-'ole Southern Baptist church, and dedicated thirteen years of my almost-perfect-attendance to a Bob-Jones-KJV-only-type Christian school. With the combination of these three "extremes" (if you will), I feel like God well-rounded me, humored me, and taught me many, many life lessons about Him, His standards, His grace, and His unwavering love for me - no matter what.

While I agree theologically on some things that go on at Bob Jones, I wouldn't exactly say they've got it right on all accounts. I'm not down with blue-and-pink-genderized sidewalks, nor am I offended if someone flashes off their un-panty-hosed ankles in my direction. However, after reading through and teaching a Bible lesson to my students out of the Bob Jones curriculum today, I have a whole new respect for the writers at BobJonesPress.

Why?

Because, despite all outside, "legalistic," old-school, non-factors aforementioned, they got something terribly right. 

In short, today's lesson was on forgiveness. It began with a list of items we should "put off" as Christians (Ephesians 4:31), continued with things we should BE (Ephesians 4:32…which happens to be my mom's life quote for my siblings and me….for possibly ever and ever), and culminated in examples of who Jesus forgave.

Who was on the list?
In the words of BobJonesPress, the "sinful" woman.

Wait…. who???????
I'm glad you asked for clarification. I was curious myself. I mean… aren't we all "sinful" women (and men)? I was reeeeaaaaal curious as to why BobJonesPress decided to write her up this way - until I saw the reference.

John 4. Go read it, if you get a chance. Pretty please.

In an attempt to explain this difficult situation to 9 and 10 year-old kids, I'm guessing BobJonesPress decided to blankly term the woman as a "sinner." Something we can all, young and old alike, relate to, right? My student-kiddos didn't seem to mind grasping that concept today. Details aside, we all sin, right? Right. 

The sinful woman.

People glanced at her quickly enough to judge her and shallowly enough to separate themselves from her.

Jesus conversed with her long enough to love her and deeply enough to heal her.

See the difference?
It's not in who knew the details and who didn't.
It's in Who aided her to the place of deliverance (and who didn't).

All husbands (and live-ins) aside, this woman was simply a "sinful" woman.
She needed saving.
She needed help.
She needed healing.
Just.
Like.
The.
Rest.
Of.
Us.

Sad thing is….she didn't just exist in Bible times.
She's all around us today.

Are you judging her by her life's dirty details? Why? Her sin already demands its own nasty consequences.
Are you spurring her on to knowing more about her Divine Deliverer? Why not? "Your light should SO SHINE before men that they see your good works and glorify your Father which is in Heaven."

He delivers you.
He'll deliver her too.

Now, let's get to work forgiving… just. as. we've. been. forgiven.

Comments

Reader's Favorite Posts

"That's Not My Name!"

For inquiring minds that would like to know… here's our story.

The Birth of Hope