The "Armstrong Brothers"

Today, in class, I gave my students the following picture prompt for part of their free writing/creative writing time.



 When I walked around the room and started reading some of my kiddos writing masterpieces, I stopped on one that read something to the effect of "If I were very small for one whole day, I would climb inside Louis Armstrong's space suit and walk with him on the moon."

The thoughts that filled my mind were exactly as follows: "Uhhhh..... where do I even begin to start explaining this one without sounding incredibly old?!"

What I said aloud was this: "I love the idea of getting inside his spacesuit. Very creative! Now, are you sure it was Louis Armstrong? I think that sounds like the name of a jazz singer or someone...."

My student's reply? "Ohh, you're right. It was L.... LANCE! LANCE ARMSTRONG! Thanks Miss Hill."
By this point I was just humored. :) I said, "Ehhnk. Try again."

Student: "Well, it was one of those Armstrong brothers."

Student #2 (highly distracted from her own work by this point, no doubt): "Neil. His name was Neil Armstrong."

And so it was. With one swift move of an eraser.... Louis, who is (often?) confused with Lance, became Neil. And all was well (and historically accurate) in the imaginary world tucked inside my student's writing.

As much as my kiddos make me laugh, they also teach me invaluable life lessons.
The way they see life is care-free and confusing all at the same time. And honestly, I don't know how they do it. They love. They trust. They laugh. And they forgive more freely than any adults I've ever met. On some days, I think God placed me in the classroom to learn more from my students about life than He called me to teach them lessons. Funny how that works out sometimes, huh?

With all said, I think this classroom story translates over into the "classroom of life" quite nicely...

I wonder...is there someone who didn't do something you accused them of doing (like Louis Armstrong walking on the moon), or someone who simply needs your forgiveness, grace, and a second chance today?

On the flip side, is there anyone in your life who hasn't been given recognition for something they went out of their way to do (like Neil Armstrong's walk on the moon)?

I'm sure you have someone in your life currently that falls into one of the two aforementioned categories. 

Maybe, if you're like me, you have some in both. 

A quick thank you, a kind word,
or a simple acknowledgement will do. 

Today's not too late to make things right with the Louises, Lances, and Neils in your life and acknowledge them for who they are to you and what they mean to you.

Just make sure you get their names in the right place.

Oh, and be careful whose suit you jump inside of when/if you decide to walk in space. :) 


Comments

Reader's Favorite Posts

"That's Not My Name!"

For inquiring minds that would like to know… here's our story.

The Birth of Hope