This is your life...are you who you want to be?

10/05/12
Roadtrips change me. The music. The quiet. The length of the trip. The brevity of life. The phone conversations. The prayers to God. All of it combined. It changes me.


As I was driving home to Jacksonville from Lynchburg this past weekend, I heard Switchfoot's "This is Your Life" come across the radio. Though I'd heard this song too many times to count, the words actually "sunk" into my heart and mind this time.

"This is your life.
 Are you who you want to be?"

If I were real honest, I'd readily answer "no."
I'm a planner. That's just what I do. I. plan. things. And when things don't go according to (how I) planned, then discontentment and a bad attitude
And no, I never imagined I'd be living in Lynchburg, teaching fourth grade, and coming to the end of -yet another- college degree, yet seemingly experiencing no "progress" in other areas of my life.

I heard my students say, "When I grow up..." "I can't wait until..." If only they knew to relish this time they have....and that this whole "grown-up" deal isn't quite as grand as it was cracked up to be. If. only. they savoured TODAY.

Today, savor all that today has to offer you. This, in this very day, is your life.

Are you who you want to be?

Comments

Reader's Favorite Posts

"That's Not My Name!"

For inquiring minds that would like to know… here's our story.

The Birth of Hope