The "look" says it all...

November 30, 2010
I noticed something today.
Something quite interesting.
Informative.
Humorous, even.
Something quite powerful, actually.
As some of my dear students were “cutting up” today, I simply glanced across the room and shot out “the look.”
You know what “look” I’m talking about.
It’s the teacher “look.”
The mom “look.”
The stranger’s “I-don’t-care-who-yo-momma-is,-but-you-best-straighten-yourself-up look.”
We’ve all gotten it at some point in our lives.
(Ahem. Some still do.)
Though each “look” may vary in sight, they all carry the same poignant message.
And we all know – without verbalizing anything – exactly what that message is.
And you know what? That look. It always works. Always.
It worked with my mom and me when I was growing up.
I’m sure it worked with her and her mom.
And it most definitely worked today in the classroom.
Even if behavior doesn’t change immediately, something changes on the inside. A message is sent. A decision is made. Consequences – either good or bad – soon follow.
It’s not the raised eyebrows, the pursed lips, or the ever-so-slight tilting/shaking of the head that gets the unsuspecting receiver’s attention.  No.
Rather, it’s the pre-existing relationship that makes all the difference when “the look” is delivered.
Do we all agree that much is true?
Good.
Hop over to this line of thinking with me for just a moment.
In the Christian life, we’ve been told, taught, and preached at to seek the face of God.
With those thoughts in mind tonight and the day’s events slowly fading into another school day memory, I wonder what “looks” – both good and bad – God sends our way? Now, before I go on, let me clarify… I’m not trying – in any way – to simplify God down to our human terms.  I’m using a form of personification for a moment to show that though we’re not equal with God, He chooses to relate with us.
 These “looks” God gives, I suppose, may be different for each one of His children and may vary from circumstance to circumstance depending upon what message needs to be sent, but the point is this: serious messages are sometimes conveyed in silent ways. in timely ways. in powerful ways. in ways that require just a “look” to be sure.  That’s why it’s important to seek His face. To get His messages. To know His ways. To build our relationship with Him so much that we know exactly what His “look” means.
I look forward to hearing what messages He sends your way. Could be interesting. Informative. Humorous, even. But no doubt, whatever message is sent, it’ll be powerful. So, get ready.
Join me in doing whatever it takes to seek His face more often.


Comments

Reader's Favorite Posts

"That's Not My Name!"

For inquiring minds that would like to know… here's our story.

The Birth of Hope