Teen Spirit

January 17, 2011
Teen Spirit
Don’t you wish we all had Teen Spirit?
No, I’m not talking about the fruity-smelling deodorant for pre-teen girls that was oh-so-popular in the 90’s.
I’m talking about the spirit many teens have.
Let’s face it: they do some pretty crazy and ridiculous stuff, sometimes.
And they do it because they lack a few things…. discretion, common sense, an ever-present momma to tell them “no.”
But another thing they lack is a sense of fear.  Like Taylor Swift’s song, they’re (seemingly) fearless.
But as the hands on the grow-up time clock move forward, many obstacles and realities of life steal away their ability to be naturally fearless.
Relationships disappoint.
Finances dissipate.
Health disintegrates.
Life doesn’t go according to (how they) planned.
Thus, expectations drop.
Dreams die.
Vision disappears.
And fear begins to set up camp in their little hearts and lives.
The Bible tells us that God does not give a spirit of fear, but I know He’s more than sovereign to use the fear in our lives for His glory and our ultimate good.
I know this first-hand because lately I’ve been struggling with fear by the truckloads.
One of my favorite pastors in the all the world, the pastor at First Baptist in Jacksonville, Mac Brunson, once said, “Fear flees when it’s confronted by faith.”
Since I’m finishing my master’s this semester, another “chapter” of my life is all-too-quickly coming to a close.
I’m asking God to help guide me onto what He has in store for me next.
But fear keeps creeping in.
Please pray with me that God will strengthen the child-like faith that resides inside of me.
And restore to me the fearless teen spirit I so long to have when facing the inevitable difficulties and realities of life.
A band I recently noticed (Dutton) said it best this way: "You are good when blessings are falling all around me, good when troubles arise, You are good when I feel an overflow of mercy, good when my cup is dry."
God is good.
He will more than take care of you.
And He will more than take care of me.
Let’s remember His goodness, His trustworthiness, His sovereignty, and His ability to make all things work together for good. Today and always.
Many decisions await us.

Comments

Reader's Favorite Posts

"That's Not My Name!"

For inquiring minds that would like to know… here's our story.

The Birth of Hope